An experienced individual who has worked in a school kitchen setting who can produce a variety of menu items. The Cook ensures the creation of great food for all students in the Infant Department, as well as for special events. This is an excellent developmental role for any culinary professional looking to grow into a professional chef in the future.
- Produce high-quality hot and cold foods according to recipes developed
- Organize all food prep stations to ensure smooth and efficient flow in the kitchen.
- Ensures that inventory of supplies is completed regularly, and items required are in-stock.
- Has the ability to prepare ala carte requested food items as needed to meet students’ dietary requirements
- Ensures the kitchen is clean and ready for the next shift.
- Communicates clearly if any kitchen or menu items are running low and needs to be ordered.
- Ensures deliveries are stored in their proper place and in a timely manner.
- Ensures all kitchen areas are kept organized and clean, including storage shelves, work surfaces, refrigerators, freezers and coolers.
- Assumes leadership responsibility to ensure safe and efficient kitchen operations are upheld at all times
- A minimum of one year of experience as a Cook in a school environment
- Valid Food handler’s permit.
- Must follow all health department and food safety requirements as determined by the school and the Ministry of Health & Wellness
- Experience working in a kitchen with a diverse workforce preferred.
- Must be a true team player.
- Must be willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done right.
- Must be resourceful and resilient with the ability to “shake it off” if things don’t go exactly as planned.
- Must be organized and a real multi-tasker.
- Must have a strong sense of urgency and “getting things done.”
- Must have good communication skills and a willingness to communicate professionally and directly.
- Must have a passion for hospitality and real guest service focus.